Thursday, March 27, 2014

Homemade Cleaner

Big girl has fought excema most of her life. Pretty mildly, but it flares up mostly on her back when she has too many chemicals in contact with her skin. I've found that fabric softener is the worst! She cannot have it in her clothes. Any laundry detergent other than All Free and Clear also really irritates her. Her last bout was triggered by Strep, or so the dr. thought, even though the test came back negative. I have never seen it so bad on her body! It lasted weeks, covered her whole trunk, and felt like sandpaper. At first they thought it was strep rash, but it lasted too long, so it was deemed excema, her worst case yet. 

We are moving to all natural laundry detergent soon, we are moving towards mostly all natural foods, so I figured I might as well de-toxify our whole lives. Slowly but surely I am switching to natural cleaners as well. I made this mixture to use in our kitchen. 



From Wikipedia: Vinegar has been reputed to have strong antibacterial properties. One test by Good Housekeeping's microbiologist found that 5% vinegar is 90% effective against mold and 99.9% effective against bacteria

 Now I'm not against a good spritz of bleach from time to time, I especially like to spray doorknobs and light switches from time to time. But for a daily cleaner, this will help us be just a touch more natural, with less and less chemicals to have the girlies be touching daily. 

What I did was poke a hole in the top of the lid and I just sprinkle it on the counters before I wipe.

Next on the menu is our health and beauty products... but I have a whole stash of soap to use up so it might be awhile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment