Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bread Machine Blueberry Bagels

Remember way back when, when I promised to share my favorite Bread-Machine recipes? Good ol' classics that work for me every time, even here at high-altitude? Well, I've finally gotten around to posting another one. Last time I posted...


And today it is... 


These were so delicious! 

My daughter happens to love bagels for breakfast. I think they are good, but even better when I can make them myself to cut out preservatives and whatever other yuckies are in packaged, as well as save some money! I always change the flour to at least half whole wheat in anything I bake, (well, when I have whole wheat flour in the house. I am trying to be better about this!)

I got this recipe from same book as the cinnamon rolls, The Bread Machine Book by Marjie Lambert. 


So without further ado, the recipe:

Bread Machine Bagels
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 1/2 TBSP veggie oil
1 TBSP sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
3 cups flour (I use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat, 1 1/2 cups white)
**I added about 1/4-1/2 cup blueberries (defrosted frozen ones) to increase the healthiness of these.**
1 TBSP yeast

1 TBSP sugar
1 egg white
2 tsp. water
sesame or poppy seeds for the top

Put all but last four ingredients into bread machine. Set for dough cycle.

When dough is ready, remove from machine and punch down. Cut dough into 12-15 pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to form a thin rope, about 8 inches long with tapered ends. Bring ends together to form a circle, with the tapered ends overlapping. With moistened fingers, pinch the joined ends so the circle sticks. 

Set bagels in a warm place to rise and cover them loosely. (I use a clean dish towel.) Let rise for about 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400F. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1 TBSP sugar. 

When bagels are ready, drop 1-2 at a time into boiling water, handling them as gently as possible. They will rise to the surface and swell up. Let them cook 1 minute, then turn them over and let them cook 3 minutes longer.

Remove bagels, let drain over water, and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Beat egg white with water and brush over bagels. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.

This is a wonderful food to have on hand for busy mornings. The whole wheat flour provides long term energy and the blueberries add a super food, while the cream cheese adds the protein.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's me, but I don't see any cream cheese in the recipe....

    ReplyDelete