Friday, January 24, 2014

Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls

I am NOT a cook, nor is this blog about cooking... since I hate it. Did I mention that before? Yeah, I hate it. There's nothing worse than a dirty house that needs cleaning, a garage full of old furniture goodness that is begging to be painted, a neglected sewing machine upstairs, a sunny day outside begging to be enjoyed, and I have to ignore all that to make a giant mess just to make a dinner no one appreciates that I will have to clean up when I am done, before I clean everything else. Oooooh cooking dinner is the worst!

That being said, I use my bread machine almost daily. That thing I DO love. I am mastering the art of putting the flour in it so I don't get a speck on the counter and don't have to even wipe a counter down :) Yet every time I talk to someone about my bread machine they say, 'Oh, I never use mine' and I think to myself, 'they must be c-r-a-z-y!' I have a few staple recipes that I LOVE and they also make my life easier and help us save Moolah! So I will slowly share a few here, starting with my favorite: 

Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls. 



Cinnamon Rolls just happen to be one of my favorite foods. I've passed that love down to my kiddos, and my eldest especially loves them- like me :) So on her 5th birthday I promised she'd wake up to fresh, homemade cinnamon rolls. They can be made ahead of time, and I just needed to let them rise for 15-20 mins, then let them cook for about 20 mins.

The recipe comes from The Bread Machine Book by Marjie Lambert (copyright 1996, it was a garage sale goodie.)



To make 15:

Dough:
1/2 Cup milk
1 egg
3 TBSP butter
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 Cups flour
2 tsp yeast

Filling:
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 TBSP very soft butter

Syrup:
3 tsp butter
1/2 C brown sugar
2 TBSP water
30 pecans (optional)

Put dough ingredients in machine and set to dough stage. Remove from machine when done and punch down. Let dough rise for 5 mins. Mix up brown sugar and cinnamon to make filling. Roll dough into rectangle 7-8 inches wide and about 16 inches long. Spread the soft butter over the dough. Thickly sprinkle filling brown sugar and cinnamon over surface. Roll dough into long cylinder. Slice crosswise through the cylinder, cut into 15 pieces.

Make the syrup by combining butter, brown sugar, and water in a small pan. Heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Stir well, then pour syrup into bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Place a pecan onto the top of each cinnamon roll. Turn rolls upside down (so pecans are on the bottom) into the baking pan. Cover and refrigerate until the morning, or cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Bake rolls at 350 for 20-25 minutes. When rolls are done flip them over onto a tray or baking sheet almost immediately or the syrup will cool, harden, and they will stick.

Hope you love the simplicity of this recipe as much as I do. I always have those ingredients in the house and I love being able to make things ahead so on big mornings like b-days, Christmas, or 1st days of school I can enjoy them and NOT cook. Since I hate cooking. Have I mentioned that before?

1 comment:

  1. Hi friend! You read my mind!!! My mom just gifted me her bread machine and for the life of me I don't know what to do with it :-) How about giving me a bread machine lesson??!?!?

    ReplyDelete