Thursday, December 5, 2013

Lemony Gingerbread Whoopie Pies

Oh, how I love these. My Oma (the namesake for my blog) bought me a subscription to Taste of Home magazine one year. I found this recipe in the March 2011 blog and it is definitely one of my favorites!! I've turned it into a Christmas cookie around here, since it is gingerbread and all.


The HIGH today is 14. Right now it is -7, and -18 with the windchill. Let's just say we will be staying inside making cookies with Christmas music today. I put up some of our Christmas decorations last night while watching BigFoot the New Science (lol very Christmas-y I know. I DVR'd it and wanted to watch it.) When the girly-goos woke up to go find Chippy the Elf they thought he brought all the decorations, it was so cute. You would've thought it was Christmas morning with how excited they were. It reminded me of the first day my 1st graders would come to school and I'd have the holiday books out.

Anyway, I'm going to spend today continuing to decorate, listen to Christmas music, and making cookies. I guess I"ll have to venture out to swim lessons at 5... but that's it! Oh, and I guess I have to give the chickens fresh water every so often, since theirs freezes up. It's nice to get a blast of fresh cold air, then run back inside!


If you want to make a plate of these goodies yourself, here's the recipe:

Lemony Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
cookies
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
3 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar

filling:
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup marshmallow creme
1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 tsp lemon extract

1. in a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. beat in molasses and egg. combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

2. shape into 1 inch balls (make them smaller than you think you should!!! like the size of a big marble, because when you're all done you put two together with icing, so if you make them too big you'll have giant massive things!) roll in sugar to flatten to 1/2 inch thickness. (the original recipe says to use a cup dipped in sugar. I used my palm.) bake at 350 for 8-10 mins. cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire cooling racks.

3. for filling: beat butter and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy. gradually beat in confectioners sugar and extract.

4. spread filling on the bottoms of half the cookies, top with remaining cookies.

Lemony Gingerbread goodness! I promise if you like gingerbread and lemon and soft cookies and rich yummy-ness you won't be disappointed!

design dazzle christmas wonderful  Moonlight and Mason Jars Link Party Button

No comments:

Post a Comment