Friday, October 18, 2013

Newborn Flower Hairband *free pattern!!*

As a knitter, the phrase 'free pattern' makes my eyes light up! A good friend that I've known since I was 9... (really?!?) is about to have her first little girl so I wanted to make something special for her. I had the cuuutest Cascade Fixations yarn picked out, and thankfully they give directions for a free, cute, lace headband pattern that matches it on their site. (click HERE for the free pattern.)

Just in case, here is the pattern:
Lacey Headband Free Knitting Pattern
Materials:  Cascade Yarns Fixation: approx ¾ oz.   
    Size US7 needles 
    Yarn needle 
Size:  1 ¾” wide by head measurement 

Pattern Stitch 
Row 1:  K2, P7, K2 
Row 2:  K3, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, sl 1, K1, psso, K3. 
Row 3: Repeat Row 1 
Row 4:  K2, K2tog, YO, K3, YO, sl 1, K1, psso, K2. 
Repeat 4 rows for pattern. 

Cast on 11 sts. 
Begin pattern stitch and work until band fits around head when stretched comfortably and 
bind off. 
Sew ends together and weave in end. 

It's really quite simple, the only hard part for me was trying to keep track of what row I was on because the pattern repeats 4 rows over and over. Since I was reading it on my iPhone while watching the new(ish?) Superman movie I just moved it so I could only see the line I was working on, hiding the rest beyond view of the iPhone screen. I hope that even makes sense! That really, really helped me stay on top of where the Kriptonite was and what row I was on at the same time. Hope I spelled Kriptonite right because spell checker isn't even giving me suggestions :)

Then I had to add a cute knit flower to this pattern, so spent at least half of a naptime searching the web for 'free knit flower patterns' and there were just none to suit my fancy! I finally found a quick, simple, and cute knit rose pattern that would suit me on good ol' Ravelry. The original source for the free flower pattern is HERE. In case she shuts her blog down, here is a quick recap of it:

Cast on 100 stitches
row 2: purl 2 tog (50 sts)
row 3: knit 2 tog (25 sts)
row 4: purl 2 tog, purl 1 (13 sts)
row 5: knit 2 tog, knit 1 (7 sts)
run yarn through remaining stitches, curl into a rose shape, and secure with a few stitches.

In the end I had an adorable knit baby flower headband! Check it out below...


It was a very nice distraction from the plumber upstairs soldering a new showerhead on (yay, our master bathroom remodel is about halfway done! Can't wait to share!) In the pic above it is hanging on my barnwood DIY bathroom shelf that is now hanging above the toilet in the girlies bathroom. Can't wait to share that, too! Just need to finish up a few touches on it first... :)


My lovely doll model modelling it for you!


And my never manicured, very ungirly hand as a third model. Such lovely models ;) Barnwood definitely wins!

1 comment:

  1. yay! i have to try this! i see a going home from the hospital possibility with this headband!

    ReplyDelete