Friday, July 5, 2013

Fourth of July Cheesecake Brownie Cake

I haven't blogged in so long! A lot of factors combined to create a perfect storm in my house :) But even though I should be cleaning my house, working on my half landscaped yard, dressing my kids for the day, or working on my online job, I really, really, really want to blog, so I am going to do a quick one!

Our neighborhood did a dessert potluck last night for the Fourth, since here in lovely, beautiful Colorado it is touch and go every year whether we can do fireworks or not, and this year, if you've been watching the news at all, was quite obviously a no. So we popped some Poppers I've had since I was a kid, (check out the writing, hilarious.)


and glow necklaces and sat in camping chairs in the street and the kids all played and rode bikes through the cul-de-sac. It was lovely! And I also have a bbq on Saturday so I found an awesomely easy yet yummy dessert, modified it a tiny bit, and popped two in the oven...


I was inspired HERE.  Her pictures are way cuter, and she went with a more 'modern art' feel, where I am pure Americana all the way :)

Here's a few pics of my cakes before I baked them. I liked the springform pan (bottom) because I could pop it out and it was more presentable. But I liked the rectangle because it looked more like a flag... so I could go either way next time...



I don't have an after picture of the circle one because when I went in to grab and serve it my husband was standing on the street waiting for me to run him his chair, since he broke his knee and has cramps in his calf the size of tennis balls, 1 part of my perfect storm! 

The only way I modified her recipe is I doubled the recipe to make two, and then used 1 extra egg (7 total) and when dividing the dough to color it I just made two small bowls of red and blue, then the majority stayed white. So I poured all the white in the pan, and used a knife to 'paint' on the blue and red, and sprinkles for the stars.

I had a bit too much red so my stripes were very thick and misshapen, next time I'll make even less red and blue, but still looked perdy cute!! I'm not a perfectionist, and tell my daughter's constantly, especially when one of them is about to throw a beautiful 4 year old work of art in the trash, that 'I don't like perfect things or perfect people.' If they're making something for me it better not be perfect, and the same goes for my cake! Just like life, a few smudges add character. 

linking at Moonlight and Mason Jars linky party

No comments:

Post a Comment