Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Easter Wish

I had to buy some eggs at the store last night. It's Easter Egg dying time!

We have two chickens in our backyard coop that we keep clean and cozy and let them run around our yard on nice days, so I don't normally buy eggs from the store. Especially after I walked around the 'organic' farm that I rescued one of my chickens from and saw some of the conditions.

We now keep our own, and I know they are loved... a little too loved with my kiddos!


A lot of others will be joining in the fun of dying Easter Eggs this weekend and heading to the store for a fresh carton of eggs. Our chickens lay brown eggs, so I have to buy some white ones for dying. But as I stood there looking at all the beautifully healthy, cage free, brown eggs I couldn't bring myself to buy the pale, see-through, battery caged, white eggs. I have seen first hand what those chickens lives are like, and I am positive Jesus wouldn't want to use those birds' sacrifice to celebrate his own. Positive.

I even went so far as to ask a random stranger, (well, a very cute older woman who was buying her little carton of brown eggs), if she'd ever tried to dye brown eggs. She informed me that Easter was the one time of the year her family would buy the white eggs. I figured as much. 

But how could I, in good conscience, buy those sickly looking eggs when I knew why they looked so sick!! The poor chickens are stuffed into cages the size of a piece of paper for their whole lives, pecking their own feathers out, pooping on the birds below them, covered and eating chemicals and drugs... I just knew I couldn't, especially to celebrate the day Jesus made the ultimate generous sacrifice to forgive us our sins.

In the end I found the light at the end of the tunnel!! I found WHITE cage free, free range eggs with a conscience from Nest Fresh! (If you're wondering, certain chickens produce white eggs naturally.)

I will not ruin your coffee by putting pictures up of the battery cage chickens. Here are some pictures from  the Nest Fresh website. They use a network of family farms to use all natural, free ranging chickens.

Insert_1
source: www.nestfresh.com

source: www.nestfresh.com

I completely  understand that it is not feasible for everyone's budget to buy the $2+ carton instead of the $1 carton every week, but if everyone could just spend the extra $1.50 or so on Easter, think about all the good we would have done supporting the farmers who are doing the right thing and treating God's creatures with compassion.  I can think of no better way to celebrate God's love for us and the world.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this friend :-)
    I still need to buy my eggs and I will be sure to pick up a Nest Fresh carton!
    PS: I would love to see a post about what you've learned about battery cage chickens sometime.

    ReplyDelete