Friday, February 15, 2013

How to Be Satisfied with What I Have

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. 
John 16:33

Let's be honest here. I don't even have many 'tribulations.' My babies were born without a hitch. The only real close death I have known was my Oma, and it was her time. I have a 1600ish square foot house with a view of open space on a 1/4 acre plot. I am surrounded by friends and family and abundant food. My children sleep safe and warm in their sweet smelling beds at night, rooms lit softly by their night lights. My husband loves me and our family and I trust him completely. My needs are met. So why do I want more?

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
1 Timothy 6:6-8

God tells us where to find happiness. It is not going to be found in my dream farmhouse or in a table surrounded by 4 tiny faces that I home-school. It is not going to be found in writing a best selling novel or in a new life where my husband doubles his salary and I get to stay home forever.

It is right here. It is right now. 

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  
Hebrews 13:5

I like to think my soul is free from a love of money. But I also keep this thought in a deep, dark place in my soul that if I won the lottery and did get to buy a farm and my life consisted of feeding my chickens and taking care of my babies I would be happy. In a roundabout way, that is a love of money. If I'm honest with myself, I think 'things' and 'stuff' will make me happy. And I work hard everyday towards my goals because they will bring me happiness...

 just one more baby. just a bit more room in my house. a little bigger yard. nicer clothes. a perfect education for my children. a newer kitchen. a decorated house worthy of a Country Living cover story. ...

My happiness could already be here. This very minute. Writing my blog in my not-so-dream, but not-so-bad house in my non-pregnant body wearing my holey sweatpants drinking my latte at 5am. Not sort-of-happy or happy-for-now, but complete and total joy. 

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. 
 Romans 15:13

I think everyone has dreams and goals, and what would life truly be without them. I think, though, that I need to align my own personal dreams with my God's dreams and my families dreams. And that will take constant prayer and thanksgiving. To achieve an internal happiness my humble mind thinks I need to constantly count my blessings, (thanks for the idea Ann Voskamp) and pray for contentedness and guidance from above.

God give me the strength to thank you every minute of every day for my blessings and find  happiness and contentment with what I have been blessed with. Please guide my heart in finding my path to serve your Goodness and be a source of happiness and security for my family. 
File:Mount of the Holy Cross, Colorado, 1900.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment