Thursday, January 10, 2013

Robin's Egg Blue Bed

We finally upgraded to a big girl bed! I've been waiting for the perfect bed to appear on Craigslist for a long time. This one was it. An antique twin daybed with a pop-up trundle. The best part was they only wanted $60 for the entire package! So I like to think I got her bed for $30 and her trundle for $30.

Here is the before and after...

I was going to do my classic antique white finish, but Big Girl asked for blue, like the color of the shirt I was wearing. I was against it at first, but then I thought it would actually turn out pretty darn cute... and it really did!

Here's the process...
1. sand the old bed down a bit
 2. paint the new bed Robin's Egg Blue
(yes that is snow on the ground, but I was painting in a t-shirt, you understand if you live in CO)
 3. Lightly sand away the paint on the edges, corners, and a few noticeable places
 4. Take a darker shade of Poly Shade and rub it over the whole bed with gloves and a rag. Let the stain pool in corners and cracks. Wipe away any excess and work relatively quickly. Then let dry and enjoy your bed! My big girl adores it...
 Here it is set up without cute new bedding, but it still looks pretty darn cute!
 There is still some work to be done, but I am too excited and impatient not to post this! My husband has to attach the daybed piece, and I did get cute new flower sheets and a down quilt, but a cute comforter and some hand stitched pillows are in order I think...



No comments:

Post a Comment