Monday, January 28, 2013

Barnwood Family Name Sign

This weekend I spent a few hours, quite a few, sitting in the sunshine sanding and painting and creating. The inside of the house went to pot this weekend, but I was so happy to be able to spend some time being crafty in the sunshine!

Here is the fruit of my labour
(I'm heading to my cousin's wedding this weekend, so it's one of their wedding presents.)


Now, I've never seen their house, but decided that because in their save-the-date they were sitting on bales of hay a barnwood family name sign would be well accepted! I sure hope they love it!

If your curious, here was the process:
 1. Sand down the old barnwood until it was smooth... or smoothER.

2. Apply a few coats of Minwax PolyShade in antique walnut. The wood really soaked it in, so I think I did 3 coats. The picture shows the original color of the wood on the bottom, and the wood with stain on the top.

3. Paint the name and year of their wedding with antique white acrylic craft paint (found in the hobby/craft section.) Some could choose to use stencils here, but I free handed it.
4. Sand the wording off a bit to show the wood patterns through, and give it an older look.

5. Put another light and quick layer of poly shade over where you sanded to make it look even.

6. Attach a picture hanger in the back.

  






4 comments:

  1. I love this Bridget! Where do you get old barnwood from??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a tv cabinet made from old barn wood- it was made in therapy by a man who was losing his sight :( when we changed to flat screen we took it apart and kept the wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sign!!! So perfect! I adore anything meaningful AND made with barn wood so this is totally a score in my mind! Thank you so much for sharing at the "Make It" party!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

    ReplyDelete