Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Museums on a Budget

Being a thrifty mom is kind of my passion. I love a good deal. I love frugal living. I recently came across the term 'Christian Simplicity' and it resonated within me. My eyes widened and I felt something click. My urge for a simple and natural life would actually align with my religious principles? Would help me find Jesus better in my heart? I couldn't believe my luck.

This website can explain it better than me...
The good life is one that is inwardly rich toward God and outwardly rich toward our neighbor. Jesus offers such a life, but many of us have received his message on thorny soil. The cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and desires for other things have taken precedence and our lives are not as fruitful as they could be. Christian Simplicity works with God to help people transition from a heart of thorny soil to a heart of fertile soil. found here

or maybe this one...
Experiencing the inward reality [of christian simplicity] liberates us outwardly. Speech becomes truthful and honest. The lust for status and position is gone, because we no longer need status and position. We cease from showy extravagance, not on the grounds of being unable to afford it, but on the grounds of principle. Our goods become available to others. We join the experience that Richard E. Byrd recorded in his journal after months alone in the barren Arctic: 'I am learning ... that a man can live profoundly without masses of things. found here

There is so much to be found on the topic of christian simplicity, but I guess I shouldn't fill up my post with other people's writing and get on to what I was actually going to write about, and that was how to do museums with kids on a budget... a frugal, simple budget. 

Here is how I do it. I joined the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. My kids adore going there, especially because right now they have a lizards and snakes exhibit that is full of live animals. A family membership is $80, so really not that much. But, I went one step more... I joined at the 'Family Plus' membership level. For $115 dollars 2 adults and up to 7 guests (adult or children guests) can go to the museum, (I actually got it for less than that, they sent a flyer in the mail offering it for $95 if I bought by a certain date.) What I did, was asked my parents and sister if they wanted to split the membership with me. So we split it how we saw as fair, I paid $45, my sister paid $20, and my parent's paid $30. Now, we can all go to the museum as often as we like, and it was incredibly affordable! When I go with friends and their kids I can get most everyone in for free as well, which is nice for friends that are also living on a stay-at-home mom budget and maybe wouldn't pay for the museum, which is $13 for an adult, and $8 for each child! If you had a mommy friend or two you like to do trips with, you could split it with them!

We just got back from our 3rd trip in 3 months and the kids had so much fun. I enjoy getting out in the summer and not coming home covered in sunscreen and sweat, too! 

So, maybe my tip of splitting a membership with someone will be doable in your area? Working together we can all be thankfully thrifty! 




No comments:

Post a Comment