Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Finding Joy in Simple Things

Finding joy in normal life. It's what we all want. Yet, I sometimes have a harder time actually living a life of joy.
I am in the middle of two incredible books right now. The Happiness Project and One Thousand Gifts. Both are about finding happiness and joy in the here and now.
As I read my 18-month-old her story before nap time today, the book she chose off of her child's bookshelf reminded me of both of those books.
It was called My Favorite Thing by Gyo Fujikawa, copyright 1978, (a wonderful thrift store find!)

Isn't it wonderful that the child on the cover is splashing in a mud puddle? The whole book is full of child-like joy over simple, (and free) pleasures. Aren't the best things in life free?
The passage that struck me last night from Ann Voscamp's book, but really from the bible, was

I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. Philippians 4:11

 Didn't Jesus say, and the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these? Can we find more pieces of Heavenly joy on Earth if we try to live with less? Get more pleasure from less?
 This last one is my favorite, because it could be me snuggling under that quilt!
 I am trying to live more to the philosophy of a 'simple, Christian life' and this book spoke to that for me.

What's your favorite thing? And does it cost much?

No comments:

Post a Comment