Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Our Backyard Chickens

We did it! We got backyard chickens in the suburbs.

Here's one of the chickies just coming down from a night in the roost part of the coop.
I've wanted to live the 'simple' life for a long time. I've wanted a piece of land covered in natural prairie grass as far as the eye can see. I've wanted neighbors; not the ones that complain I have a clothesline up in my yard, ones that I can just barely see the twinkling of their lights as I walk down the drive at night.

But it's not the time for us to move with me staying home with the kiddos. And I have finally surrendered myself to the realization that I don't know if it ever will be time to move to 'the country'. And in allowing myself not force my own desires on life and let it naturally unfold, I am finally at peace with that.

So I'm doing my best to create a simplistic, natural life within our 1/4 acre plot in the burbs. And one dream of mine came true this year- we got three chickens. Aptly named, by my 3 year old and her beloved Godfather, Mac-n-Cheese, Fluffy, and Stripey (though sometimes Stripey goes by Tiger, it depends on the day and the inner-workings of a 3 year old brain.)

Last night after a day working in our yard we enjoyed the simple wonder of sitting next to our three chickens in their new coop as they scratched and made noises that sound like the coos of dove. Pure simple bliss.

Simplicity is the only thing that can sufficiently reorient our lives so that possessions can be genuinely enjoyed without destroying us. -Richard J. Foster


No comments:

Post a Comment